Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's Up With Me?

Thought I'd provide a long-overdue update. Here's what is going on in my life right now.

1. Still reviewing a lot. I am way overloaded with books, despite my best intentions to slow down and stop requesting so many books, I am still doing it. I guess it is a little better, but not so much that I would really notice. And I have slowed way down on my reading too...I have read 13 books for Aug, Sept, and October, where in those months last year I averaged 15 books. Fall is definitely slower for me than summer because I'm much more busy with school, volunteering, and such, but I just feel slower with reading than usual.

2. Our family situation is still tenuous. We're a little more distanced than we were in August and September, but it's still painful and truly deeply needing prayer. God is the only one who can help us through it, and only He can work the miracle that needs to be done.

3. We have embarked on Dave Ramsey 's Total Money Makeover plan. At the beginning of October, we went to see Dave live in Portland. It was totally inspirational, and since we already had the books we have been motivated to jump in full force. We had already completed baby step 1, which is set up a $1000 emergency fund. At the end of October, we made a budget, and after bills we are using cash for food and everything else. We cut up our one credit card, and are making steps to not create further debt as well as pay off our current debt using the debt snowball method. This is very exciting, because for the first time we are both on the same page about this.

4. We finished our summer of the CSA and decided to keep with it through the winter. Overall, it doesn't end up much more expensive than buying organic vegetables from the store, and it forces me to be creative in incorporating vegetables into our daily diet.

5. Other than the above things, volunteering at the kids' school, driving kids to and from gymnastics, as well as teaching women's Bible study, has kept me incredibly busy this fall.

I really hope to keep this more up to date, but I won't make any promises.

1 comment:

Nicole2112 said...

Hey Melissa - it's Nicole from The Cove...
I love Dave Ramsey. I can't catch his shows (either radio or tv) everyday but I do listen to the podcasts that he puts on itunes. I really like him and think that his methods are good ones.
I wish you luck with the journey. You are going to be so proud of yourself.