Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reign Over Me

Yesterday, we watched the movie Reign Over Me. I have had so many emotions flowing around in my brain since it finished, I struggle even now to put them into words.

I read the reviews on Netflix and Amazon both, and they are quite mixed. People are either blown away by the movie or think it's frenetic and uneven.

After pondering it...I think that if a person has experienced a gut-wrenching grief in their life, then that person will find Reign Over Me incredibly realistic, moving, and heartfelt. Otherwise, I think a person would have difficulty identifying with the characters.

Adam Sandler plays a man who lost his wife and three daughters on September 11. His college roommate, played by Don Cheadle, runs into him on the streets and the two reconnect. Adam's character is very odd. He doesn't remember (or pretends not to remember) certain parts of his past. He refuses to talk about anything involving his family. He goes nuts if anyone brings it up. Everyone in his life, including Cheadle after a time, think he needs therapy, needs help, needs to be fixed.

Again, this is an immensely moving movie to me, because having experienced a raw sort of grief like this character, I can identify with wanting to close that part of your life off and not wanting to deal with it or remember any of it.

We talked about this movie (and cried some more) for an hour after it was over. I think it's so real and the writing is phenomenal.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: