Sunday, March 30, 2008

Farmer's Market

Our local farmer's market is less than a week away! I am so excited, it's almost silly.

This winter has seemed to last forever...no thanks to the snow we got yesterday. It's spring now, enough with the winter weather. Rain, I can take...that's typical Washington spring. But snow is a different story.

Cowlitz Farmer's Market Here's a link to our market. I do know that we will be buying eggs and chickens there regularly this year, as well as another half of a pig and veggies from our CSA. I dont' think our CSA shares technically begin until May as I've paid for the summer season, but if she has veggies I'll just buy some from her. Like I said, it's been a long winter, and we're getting a little weary of eating from the freezer.

This year I do plan to do some canning. Up until this point, all of my preserving has been freezing--fruit, corn, jam. But after reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle I am excited to can tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce and tomatoes, as I use a ton of both of those things year round. Our tomato season is pretty late compared to the rest of the country, and let me tell you, the kids are more than ready for some fresh tomatoes but I keep saying, "wait, wait." After being spoiled with the garden tomatoes last year, there's no way we could eat the tasteless winter ones from the grocery store.



This is the type of bread I have been making the most often lately. Looks a lot like the pesto bread doesn't it? It's from my same old sourdough starter, and after the first rise, I roll it out, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. It tastes like a cinnamon roll and it's really delicious. We can go through a whole loaf pretty quickly.





No comments: