Here are the recipes for the first two days' menu items. I have made both of these before and they are always positively received by my family. This time was no exception.
I don't think I'm going to make the meal for tonight (the chicken). We have so much of the lentil stuff left that I think I'm going to serve it in tortillas tonight for leftovers.
Spaghetti Pie--From The Potluck Club book 3
8 ounces spaghetti, broken in to 2-inch pieces
2 T melted butter
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck (I used ground turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I didn't use this, didn't have any)
2 T vegetable oil
1 jar (15 1/2 ounces) thick spaghetti sauce
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. leaf oregano, crumbled
1/2 t. garlic salt
1 cup cottage cheese (I used ricotta because that's what I had)
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cook spaghetti in boiling water following label directions; drain. Place in 9x13 inch baking dish. Stir in next five ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture evenly in pan. Saute chuck, onion, and green pepper in oil in large skillet until meat is brown; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, sugar, oregano, and garlic salt. Spread cottage cheese over spaghetti layer and top with meat mixture. Bake at 350 for half hour. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top and bake and additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and just begins to brown. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Sweet and Sour Lentils and Kielbasa over Rice
3 cups dry brown lentils, rinsed
1 package turkey kielbasa, sliced.
3 Tb. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 med to large zucchini, shredded
3-8 to 10 ounce cans pineapple chunks
2-3 Tb fresh ginger, chopped fine
6 Tb. soy sauce
6 Tb. brown sugar
6 Tb. ketchup
1 tsp. pepper
1. Put lentils in a pot and add twice the amount of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low, simmer until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain lentils in a strainer.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini. Cook until onions are soft.
3. Add pineapple and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add lentils and kielbasa and the rest of the ingredients. Cook, stirring regularly, for 20 more minutes.
5. Serve over rice or wrap in tortillas.