Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer is too Long

I'm going to be honest here.

There are certain things I really enjoy about summer:

1. I love to sleep in a little bit and not be pressured to be ready and out the door by 8:15.

2. I really like to not pack lunches. I like this very much.

3. Fewer activities make for a less hectic driving schedule and less stressful when I have to be in two places at the same time.

4. Time is less structured.

But mostly, I am pretty much over the summer now.

1. The kids are bored. Even with every day gymnastics practice for Grace and every day football practice for Logan, they are ready for some new school challenges.

2. I miss my regular activities and the contact they give me with other adults. I miss Bible study, volunteering at school, and that sort of thing.

3. Although I really admire people who can homeschool, and really wish I could do it myself, my kids just do not respond to me with regards to school work. We've been doing a summer curriculum and it's like pulling teeth.

4. I kind of thrive on the structure. The schedule.

5. The kids want to eat ALL. THE. FREAKIN'. TIME.

6. I really dislike taking the kids to the grocery store and the post office. You would think at 8 and 9 years old that they would be relatively easy to deal with at those places. Yeah, no.


So, that's my recap. School starts two weeks from today. Not soon enough in my book.

I really do love my kids. I just want the structure of our schedule back again.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

That's why I love year round school. My daughter was out for only 4 weeks this summer, and then she started again. Not a whole lot of time to get bored.

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Perfectly put, Melissa. I agree. That eating all the time, yep. Post office and grocery trips i.e. ANY errand gets a comment from Ben and a groan. He's in VBS this week and well, you can relate - going to the grocery store is a breeze without him. LOL Hang in there - 2 weeks, eh? Ben starts the day after Labor Day.

With him gone 9-12 this week at VBS I have had a taste of what it will be like once again and I like it but it is sooooooo quiet. LOL Zack talks but Ben talks NON STOP ALL THE TIME.

Tanya

Alyce said...

I agreed with every comment. I believe my exact thought was, "Amen, sister!"

Tanya's kids and mine sound like they're related! My oldest talks so much, and VBS week was a nice breather.

I'm definitely ready for school to start. Only two and a half more weeks!

Shannon P. said...

oh how I can't wait for those days!

Patty said...

I was just telling my husband today how I couldn't wait to get back into a routine. My little one eats all the time too. I thought it was just my kids. Nice to know I'm not the only one going crazy. My kids ask me every single day, "What are we doing today? Can so and so come over? Can I go to someones house? I'm borded." It can't get any better than that.

Melissa said...

That's exactly right Patty! I should have put that down on my list--the asking to have friends come over every single day. I am just exhausted of it all and they just don't get it and seem to think it's punishment if they don't play with friends every day.