So, right before we left on vacation, my husband got offered a job in Bend, Oregon. To give some of you perspective, it's around 4.5 hours from where we live now. We talked about it all last week--I am a completely analytical person, I like to look at every single side of every single issue, and I think he is sick of talking to me about it.
Some things we have to consider:
1. It's about the same distance (tiny bit further) from my parents' house to there as it is to here. His parents and siblings all live here, so it would be a long distance from them, and we'd most likely see them only rarely, whereas now, we see them at least weekly.
2. The benefits are MUCH better. We currently pay a substantial amount each month toward health insurance, this will be a lot less. They have an excellent 401K program with great matching at the new company.
3. It's very significant that my husband has never lived anywhere else. He has huge ties to this community, we both do. We love our church and are both very involved with it. The kids love their small Christian school and we know pretty much everyone there. I volunteer there a lot. We have lots of friends, the kids have lots of friends.
4. It has come down to one factor that we just don't know enough about yet. The money. The cost of living in Bend is higher than here--it's more resort-ish and I imagine (although I don't know for sure) that the type of house we would want to move into would be much more expensive than a similar house here. If the salary increase (and we know there will be one, we just don't know how much) isn't enough to IMPROVE our standard of living, then it doesn't make sense to uproot and move.
5. Washington state has no income tax, and Oregon does. WA does have sales tax and OR doesn't, but pennies here and there don't seem to make a huge difference in what we spend.
It's very complicated. Grace would be happy to move, she's very positive about it. Logan on the other hand, is adamantly opposed and doesn't even want to consider it.
How do you go about making this type of decision? We're going to check out the area in a few weeks. This job would be taking the place of someone who is retiring toward the end of the year, so it's not an immediate decision that has to be made.