Thursday, July 31, 2008

Someone Explain Stores to Me

I just really need help with this, I cannot understand it.

A few years ago, we wanted to buy a swing set from Wal-Mart in June. Nope, they don't have them--they have to move things out to make room for the Christmas stuff as soon as summer starts.

Last week (July 23--mind, summer weather JUST started here in the NorthWET) hubby stayed out in the sun a little long while reading and, as we never remember to bring anything important on vacation, we forgot to bring one of the seven bottles of aloe gel from home. He pops into Fred Meyer to get some. Nope, none anywhere. We decide to try Wal-Mart. They are clearancing the sunscreen, but we can't find any aloe. So I ask the clerk.

"We usually don't carry that after summer starts, because we have to make room for the back to school items and also some Christmas things."

I know, both Christmas comments came from Wal-Mart, but I am assuming that was the case with Fred Meyer too. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Target has their swimming items all on clearance also.

Our schools here start before Labor Day, but barely. Many schools don't start until after Labor Day.

Where did the summer go? And I'm not even a kid!

4 comments:

Martha A. said...

You must live somewhere near us.....we were trying to buy a beach umbrella and tent and everyone was getting ready for school at the beginning of July so not many around, in fact no beach umbrellas...I said to my sister, "So school stops the beginning of June and they are going to have Back to school stuff there three weeks later next year?" I get very frustrated with it as it seems like they love to just rush everything by!
I am going to still enjoy my last month of summer whether they want us to or not!

photoquest said...

I know exactley what you mean they put out fall cloths in the summer while they are getting rid of summer items, it's like the stores rush our life away. Schools here start befor Labor Day also.

AudreyO said...

When I was a kid, the retail christmas began in October....right about Halloween. As I got older it was pushed to September. Now, as you say we have 5 months of retail christmas, starting in August.

When we buy bathing suits, they are on the store shelves in March. By June they are on clearnace and there are very few left.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

They are going to the shoppers who think ahead, not last minute. I'm a last minute kind of gal though! Actually, I always get bummed, because I wait until the holiday is over to buy the decor -- so I want it to come out at the very end!