Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Day After

Lots of clean-up now that the 4th of July is over and hubby is back to work and VBS is over. I can't believe (well, yes I can) how much got pushed aside for the last week and a half with so much going on. Today is definitely a day to recuperate!

Here's the salad I made for the bbq yesterday, shoepeg corn salad. It's a recipe I got from the Taste of Home Cooking School. I made it before and it's always a huge hit.



Shoepeg Corn Salad

3/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 can (15 1/4 ounces) baby peas, drained

2 cans (11 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained

1 jar (4 ounces) chopped pimientos

5 green onions, chopped

6 celery ribs, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

In a small saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool. In a large non-metallic bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour marinade over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours, stirring occasionally. For best flavor, make 2-3 days before serving.

The other thing I made was sangria



This was not a real recipe. I just "winged" it. I mixed two bottles of merlot with some orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and about a half cup of sugar. I sliced up an orange, a lemon, a lime, two peaches, and also added some frozen strawberries and some frozen raspberries. Mixed it all up in a big bowl and then chilled it until ready to serve. It was pretty yummy.

I'm finishing up my RT books for the month. I'm way behind on my other reviewing because I've been so overloaded with RT lately. I'm reading Norah's Ark by Judy Baer and I have one more book to read. I have loads that aren't written up, this past couple of weeks has made me a slacker in more ways than one! But fortunately for me, for the October issue I only have seven books (instead of 11 like this month) so I should be able to breathe a little easier.



No comments: