Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I have been cooking...


I've been cooking a lot, I just haven't been posting much. I haven't been taking pictures of what I made either, but I think I can find pictures on the net since all of the recipes have been food network or Rachael Ray recipes.
The other day I made beignets, the recipe can be found here Cream Puffs in Venice

They were actually really good, I was quite surprised since I rarely make anything that requires deep frying. I do recommend trying them out though, because they weren't very difficult to make. I actually might make them again. I made them on Friday morning.

Friday night, I made another Guy Fieri recipe Penne with Cajun Hot Links and Chipotle Shrimp. It was delicious. Instead of the hot links, I used turkey kielbasa, and as per my usual, I used fat free half and half in place of the heavy cream.

1-ounce olive oil

4 hot links, all beef, cut in 6 bias slices

20 (21/25 shrimp), deveined, shelled and butterflied

2 cups heavy cream

1 cup Chipotle Sauce, recipe follows

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 pound cooked penne pasta

1/2 cup Parmesan, grated plus more for serving

1 tablespoon diced Roma tomato

1 tablespoon diced scallion


In saute pan over high heat, add olive oil and hot links. Sear links until browned. Add the shrimp and cook until pink. Lower heat to medium. Then add cream, 3/4 of the Chipotle Sauce, salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta and the cheese. Toss to combine.
Serve in pasta bowl and garnish with diced tomato, scallions, more sauce, if desired, and grated Parmesan.


Chipotle Sauce:

1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce

3/4 cup canola oil

1/3 cup lemon juice

3/4-ounce Dijon mustard

1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo

3/4-ounce red chili flakes

1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper


Combine all ingredients in blender, puree, cover and refrigerate.

1 comment:

AuntieStina said...

MELISSA!!! Oh my gosh, it's been literally years!
I did a google search for my own name (ingodzhndz) and found me on paperback swap and there you were. I'm not sure how or why, since I don't remember ever joining that group.
HOW are you?! Are you still part of the Titus group?
I've been part of the P31 like for forever (almost 10 years), and am a leader of one of the cell groups.
Anyway, if you want to catch up, I'd love it. You can check me out on blogger (under this name), and one of my posts talks about my blog on Xanga.
Looking forward to chatting more with you!