Friday, July 07, 2006

Steak and Salad


Well, I've had a VERY productive day today with the kids at grandma and grandpa's. I've completed all of my RT reviews (except for the book I'm still reading, but will finish that today I hope) and I've written all but one of my online reviews. Yahoo! I'm actually getting some things done! Truly, I feel like I've accomplished so much today. The weather is warm but not too hot, so the breeze blowing through is nice. I'm listening to jazz on the XM radio on my computer, so it's been a treat to work in the peace.

Last night I made Bloody Mary Flank Steaks and Romaine Salads--two more Guy Fieri recipes. They both turned out wonderfully.

Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese-Bacon Vinaigrette
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped red onion (I used white because that's what I had)
1/2 pound bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used Gorgonzola because that's what I had)
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the grill to high heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over high heat. Add the onions and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. To the same pan add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
Brush the romaine lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, place on the grill cut side down, and quickly sear.
Serve the lettuce, cut side up, and drizzle the balsamic dressing over the lettuce. Sprinkle with blue cheese and garnish with cracked black pepper.

Bloody Mary Flank Steak
1 cup vegetable juice (recommended: V-8)
1/2 cup vodka
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
4 tablespoons olive oil
1-pound flank steak
Thoroughly mix all the ingredients except for the flank steak in a 1-gallon zip lock bag. Add the flank steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 and up to 24 hours.
Preheat the grill to high or heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and wipe the excess liquid off with paper towels. Grill or pan sear both sides, then lower heat to medium and cook to medium rare.
Let the flanks steak rest, covered, with a clean towel for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut on the bias against the grain and serve.

And I did it all wearing the lovely boot! Aren't you proud of me?

No comments: