Monday, January 28, 2008

Depressing Day


In October, our dog Casey had surgery to fix a congenital hip problem. It was a really expensive surgery ($3000) but he's only four years old, we knew that the surgery would help him have a more normal life. Healing has been going great, no problems.


Over the past 2 weeks, he has developed this spot on his front leg. At first we thought it was just a sore, and he kept licking it and making it worse. It was about the size of a dime, red and irritated. When I took him to his final orthopedic vet appointment on the 9th, she said it looked like a hot spot and gave me prednisone and antibiotics to clear it up. It looked like it was working for about the first three days. Spot seemed to get smaller, got a scab over it, yay.


Then it started getting bigger, broke open and started bleeding...it just wasn't looking any better at all. So I took him to the vet here in town last Friday and she said it looks like a growth and he needed surgery.


Today, he had surgery to remove the growth. Vet called a little while ago and said that she wasn't sure without lab work, but it looked like a mast cell tumor to her.


My husband isn't as sentimental as I am. He says that if it's cancer, he doesn't want to treat it. We have already spent so much money on this dog (today's surgery and stuff cost around $700) that he just doesn't want to spend any more.


If you've read this far...please pray for our little guy. Pray that the lab results come back as benign and we can just go on with life. It truly seems like it is just one thing after another here.

5 comments:

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Oh Melissa...you poor thing. I came over to say HI and thanks for posting for the Get Out of That Pit Study Pack and when I got here I could tell you were having a tough day!

I would be more than honored to pray for your doggie. We do not have dogs, but I had many dogs growing up and know that they quickly become a part of your life.

Take Care,
Melissa in Mel's World

Brenda said...

Aww, that's hard! I'll pray for your family and your dog. I hope things work out for you!

Happywife84 said...

I am most certainly praying!!! When will you get the results?

Jessie Weaver said...

Melissa,
We had exactly the same issues with our three-year-old dog this summer. Under his eye was very puffy, so they gave us drops. Then they had him in to try to drain it. It wouldn't drain. So they did a biopsy and it was a mast cell tumor. I refuse to go through doggy chemo. It ended up they were able to give us a light chemo drug and Prednisone drops. It has totally cleared up and he just has the drops a few times a week now. There is hope. I hope it is as easy with your dog. When I thought Chester might die I had a complete meltdown. Shoot me an e-mail if you need someone to rant to!

Nathan, Sarah, Liam, Deacon, and Jude said...

I am so glad your dog is well. I didnt know you had a Corgi, i love corgis!