Sunday, January 13, 2008

In Defense of Food

My review of this book has posted. It's great to start the year off (actually, I ended the year with this book) with such a fascinating book. Its message is simple: Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants. Yet to achieve this seems beyond most people.

I had the most interesting conversation yesterday with some women while watching the Seahawks (sob) game. I am right in the middle of reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which I can say without exaggerating is changing my life. We were already on the bandwagon with eating more local foods, more vegetables, but this book is solidifying and giving me reasons to do what we're doing.

Back to In Defense of Food --the main thing I came away with is the astounding history of food lobbying and legislation in the US, as well as the increasing dependence on soy and corn for things other than strictly soy or corn as food.

Read it--you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thanks for this review, Melissa! I have to admit that my eating habits are horrid, so maybe reading a good book about it might help.