Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Purple Potatoes, Oh My!



A couple of weeks ago, Farmer Susie included some potatoes in our CSA share. I put them in a paper bag and put them in the pantry, and then, like usual, promptly forgot about them.




Today I cooked roast chicken for dinner, and wanted to have potatoes with them, because that's what my family likes. So I remembered the CSA potatoes and started to peel them to cook for mashed potatoes. And oh my--they were purple! I thought at first that maybe they might be beets...but no, they look like potatoes on the outside. So I looked them up online and they are Peruvian potatoes, an heirloom variety.




I cooked them up and they were quite delicious. Once my son got over the fact that the mashed potatoes looked like purple frosting, but didn't taste like it, he ate quite a bit, as did everyone else.


Adventures in Vegetables!








5 comments:

jodifur said...

Weird.

Thanks for your comments on Jodifur.

Kerry said...

Oh, my gosh - they are a lovely lavendar shade! But I'm like your son, I'd be expecting sweet confections with that creamy color. :)

I got my wonderful veggies today and will post my menu plan tonight (I hope!)

I'd love to hear more about your experience with "CSA" - I'm not totally sure what that stands for, but I get the "gist" of it.

Jessie Weaver said...

Wow! I have heard of purple potatoes but I never realized they were quite so purple!

I tagged you for something on my blog...but feel no obligation. :)

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! I've grown blue ones before, but they turn white when cooked and mashed. I'll be growing these this year!

We also grow purple green beans. I like the odd colors. :-)

I love that you are part of a CSA. We keep thinking about starting one from here, but we just have too much else on the go at the minute. Maybe in a year or two!

Happywife84 said...

lol @ your son! And yay for him!!!