Friday, January 04, 2008

Goal Progress

I made some goals for 2008 and thought I'd update on the progress I have made this week. Bits and pieces of what has been going on around here:

1. Use each week's CSA vegetables creatively before the next week's veggies arrive--We had last week off due to Christmas, so I did have an opportunity to use some things. This week I have made a chicken pot pie using a bag of the stir fry veggies. Today I am making pork roast in the crock pot with parsnips, onions, and carrots that were getting on the verge of being bad. I pick up a new batch of veggies today, and although I haven't used up every single thing from the last time, I made a bigger dent than usual.

2. Check into a good source for a turkey for next Thanksgiving--I know, it seems a bit early to be thinking about this, but I realized that if I don't contact a farmer before he buys his chicks this spring, I might be out of luck. I found someone in the state that comes highly recommended, but I want to see if I can find someone a little closer.

3. Cook one new recipe each week--Today's pork pot roast comes from this month's issue of Cook's Country magazine. I had debated giving up this magazine subscription in order to be more frugal, but I realize that I cook from it tons more than Taste of Home, so I gave that one up instead.

4. Rely less on ready-made items--I must say this is going to be tougher on the kids than on me. The kids love chips, cup of noodles, chicken nuggets, etc. in their lunches. I am going to have to be more creative with lunches, which is going to take a lot more effort and some ear plugs to deal with the whining. Right now, we're still using up things we have. But on this front, I did make a loaf of bread this week, and I plan to make another loaf tomorrow. I have made yogurt twice, and everyone is eating it as fast as I can make it!

5. Less waste--We have been turning off the computers at night, which is something we haven't done in the past. I am making the kids use the 5 minute timer in the shower, which should also really help. I am trying to use things up before buying new.

6. Plan and stick to a budget--I did this month's budget and paid the bills. Even was able to budget for wrestling shoes and the wrestling fee.

So, that's this week. I am currently working on my RT reviews for January, due on Monday. I have seven books finished and ready to review, and one book I'm about halfway finished with. The remainder of today needs to be working on writing, and then reading.

3 comments:

Happywife84 said...

You are doing great!! I was wondering how too keep track of my progress...the blog is a great way to do it!

Paliku said...

rah! rah! routing for you to meet your goals.

Paliku said...

Ah, better change routing to rooting; however, there might be
a day or two when you would like to route your goals to someone else. :)